Becoming A Member
Our field of membership includes: persons who live, work, worship, or attend school in, and businesses and other legal entities located in the counties of Kennebec and Somerset, Maine; and, also included are spouses of persons who passed away while within the field of membership of this credit union, employees of this credit union, members of their immediate family* or household**, and organizations of such persons.
* “Immediate family” members are defined as grandparents, parents, step-parents, spouses, siblings, step-siblings, children, step-children, adopted children, and grandchildren.
** “Household” is defined as persons living in the same residence and who maintain a single economic unit, including family members, domestic partners, foster children, and legal guardian relationships.
In 1956, a group of parishioners led by a parish priest of the Notre Dame Church in Waterville, Maine, explored the possibility of organizing a credit union. Within months of their first meeting, they had applied for and were approved for a parish charter by the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions. The charter was comprised of “members of the parish of Notre Dame Church in Waterville, Maine.” The Notre Dame Credit Union was launched on August 27, 1956, operating out of a corridor at the Notre Dame School on Water Street from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
The credit union’s first employee, Earl Rancourt, (who later became President/CEO) renovated his basement to house the operations from 1963 to 1973. In 1973, as membership grew, the Notre Dame Credit Union purchased and renovated a former homestead at 5 Kimball Street in Waterville. A ground breaking ceremony for the current facility at 61 Grove Street was held in October of 1986.
On July 1, 1992, Notre Dame Credit Union welcomed Calvary Temple’s Berean Federal Credit Union members as a result of a merger. In 2002, the Notre Dame Credit Union’s charter was expanded to serve Kennebec and Somerset Counties. As a result of the charter expansion and to better reflect the community that it serves, the Board of Directors voted to change the credit union’s name in January of 2006 to New Dimensions Federal Credit Union. On March 21, 2011 we opened our first branch office at 72 Cony Street, Augusta, Maine.
Since its meager beginnings in a school corridor, the credit union has grown to 8,000 members, added products and services to meet members’ current needs, and enhanced technology to provide fast, reliable service with a click of a mouse.